I don't know what it is about our house lately but we seem to be a bit of an animal sancuary. A week and a half ago, a poor starving dog walked into our yard. She was a yellow lab and was obviously near death. She walked right up to our house and Anteneh guided her into the kennel area that has some chain link. She laid down so we locked her in there so she wouldn't wander off and gave her food and water. She was so hungry and ate it quickly. Well, I didn't know what to do. No animal rescue places wanted her so my mom and I decided we'd take her to the vet the next day and try to find her a home.

Later that evening she escaped...I was so upset-I know she is going to die. She was so skinny. I wish she would have known we were trying to help her. Ugh...I just hope someone else took her in...poor thing...it is so sad
Yesterday we cut down a few big tall bushes in our front yard and as the men were hauling it to the side of the house, a baby bird fell out. It was sprawled out in the yard and obviously had been in a nest in the bush. We couldn't find the nest and the bush was now gone so I got a shoebox and we bought some baby bird formula. OK, birds are gross...especially little baby ones with almost no feathers that deficate multiple times then step in it when you are feeding them. And all day yesterday I had to set my alarm and feed it every HOUR...so, all day I spent 15 minutes out of every hour of my day feeding this little bird with a medicine dropper and cleaning up it's fresh piles. haha...luckily they don't eat at night so I got to sleep for 6 hours straight! Notice it has little bits of dried food on it-it kept moving around and one time I accidentally squirted the stuff in its eye-I felt like I was torturing it! Haha

Well, today we put his little box outside where the bush used to be. He seemed perkier today and was able to actually stand on his legs and bounce around a little. He kept calling for his mother and she came back! Score! She would fly around watching us (oh-and the lady at the pet food center said that bluebirds(or bluejays, whatever) like this are agressive mothers and will fly at your face-oh, great). she would look for bugs then come back and feed him! He managed to get out of his box and is right now jumping around our yard and his mom keeps coming back and feeding him! So, we saved him...or I wasted 24 hours feeding him around the clock-maybe she would have done that yesterday when we cut down her tree? Here is a picture of them...my question now is: will he survive w/ out a nest!? He's not old enough to fly



5 comments:
Interesting topics could give you more visitors to your site. So Keep up the good work.
This is a nice blog. I like it!
Such a nice blog. I hope you will create another post like this.
what is up with the lottery people reading your blog? weird. anyway, love the post and the animals. you are so great with them!!! GO VEG!
I know what you mean!! I think we have a "pet beacon" that is over our house! We had this little puppy that lived by our fence this week. I was not about to take another pet in (we have 5 that we've rescued). I kept hoping it would find a home w/someone else. I guess (and I am hoping) it did b/c it hasn't been back so far. We also had a bird fly into our covered patio area. It flew into the screens so many times it ened up on its back on the ground. I felt horrible. I tried to get it out but ended up scaring it more. So once it was exhausted I was able to pick it up and isolate it for a little bit. It flew away later that day. It was really sad though...
Post a Comment