Wednesday, April 15, 2009

First Sack Lunch


I am pretty sentimental about some things...the first time Grace sang in a Christmas program at church I sobbed the entire time...there are little moments in my kids' lives that make me feel so sentimental...some moments even are bigger than that first step or first word.

For instance, I can remember Grace's first lie very clearly. She was 3 and we had gone through the bank drive through. She wanted to hold the sucker and I said, "Grace, that's fine but you can't eat it"...she held it while I drove....I thought she was doing well...a mile down the road I said, "Grace, you aren't eating your sucker are you?" she says, "oh, no Mommy-I'm not"...I look in the rear view mirror and she's violently sucking on it-trying to get it to disappear before I see her! This reminds me of yesterday when I couldn't find Anteneh for 10 minutes and later found a cup of water under the end table in the family room and an empty box to a big chocolate bunny next to it...I mean, come on, son-at LEAST hide the evidence. OK...I'm off subject...

So, back to being sentimental. Well, today I'm making the boys' FIRST SACK LUNCH for school! They are still only in Pre-K but they are going on an all day field trip to the zoo tomorrow and I have to pack them a lunch (entirely disposable so we will not be able to use the reusable lunch boxes we have or the great cotton reusable baggies Tracey got us. Bummer...but...

While we will be doing some poluting tomorrow, I am SO EXCITED...I love making my kids lunch for school. I love to imagine their faces as they pull food out of the bag-wondering what I packed for them...Here are the bags I'm decorating for them...they can't read yet so I can't put a little note in them but they can read their names and I hope will feel extra special that I decorated them and put bows around the baggies of oreos!
I'm such a sap. I love this stuff...I mean, I actually took a picture of brown bags for a blog post. haha

1 comment:

Warren Baldwin said...

Our kids are now 23, 20, 16. Frequently, the converation between my wife and I are of the "sentimental" things we shared with our kids over the last 20+ years. The sentimental things become the cherished memories. You are wise to be recording them as you are!