Friday, July 11, 2008

Pet Peeves

Am I a grouchy person that I have many pet peeves? I don't think it could be a good quality. Here's one of them: when my kitchen floor is needing to be swept to the point where if I walk barefoot on it I get junk stuck to the bottom of my feet. Hate that. Another one is people who think they are entitled to something that isn't theirs. Example: Kids who grab a toy from someone and selfishly say, "You HAVE to share with me"...grrr...that's why in our house, we don't force the kids to share. People reading this may have a lot to say about how this is dumb of us (please don't leave me any neg comments-thank you) but let me explain: I think it teaches our kids something great to encourage them to share yet not force them to. Because that's not how the world works. (well, in the case of income redistribution it does but that's irritating and I don't like it) ANYWAY...do we just walk into our neighbor's yard and take their lawn mower and say, "haha-you HAVE to share with me" and start mowing our own yards with it!? NO! So, we encourage our kids to share but don't take things from them and hand them to other kids. It blesses them 10 times more to let them make that decision themselves-and 99% of the time they share whatever it is. This works so well in our house to teach our kids to have a giving heart rather than causing them to resent being forced to give their stuff away. And I know our method is very effective with our kids b/c they are very generous...(just to brag a little, sorry)

Done with my soapbox now....here is my point. Flies. I hate how they land on your food and act like they have a right to be there! Like your food just has to be shared with them. Do I sound like a nutjob!? Haha-I mean, really-who likes flies? I'm thankful that God knows what he's doing and I'm sure flies exist for a special reason-probably having to do with the food chain...but I don't like them.

Let me tell you about my kids' hearts...a few days ago they were all VERY upset that a fly was drowning in the water of the flowers Daryn got me for my birthday...they were all 3 very upset and made Daryn get all the flowers out to save it, do mouth to mouth, and built him a little shoebox home. OK, I'm kidding-but they did make him save it. They have huge hearts...

Yesterday we were eating dinner and there was a fly buzzing around. So, Daryn got the fly swatter...the kids were all very upset when Daryn swatted it and threw it away. They demanded to know why he didn't let it free outside...oh, the innocent little minds and hearts of young children...

I guess I should pray that they keep this loving attitude toward all of God's creation....it would be better than ending up being so irritated by things that they write blogs about their pet peeves as an adult:) haha.

One more annoyance: when my dog eats the baby bird I so carefully saved. The kids don't know. I found the little bones and feathers in the backyard a few days ago. (sigh)

Ironically, I'm in a great mood as I write about my annoyances:) Despite the fact that I've got really bad poison ivy all over my arms and back AND I had an allergic reaction to biting into a peppercorn today and my face swelled up and I had to run to the drugstore to dope myself up on benedryl....and I almost gave myself a black eye when I dropped the Hershey's cocoa from the top shelf of the pantry...and I over roasted my poblano peppers this afternoon until they literally disappeared and I had to retake my defensive driving test 5 times before passing this afternoon (it was my first ticket and really dumb)...haha...it's all pretty funny and meaningless, really:) I'm glad at the end of the day I can laugh about it all

1 comment:

Nottingham Family said...

um, that was one hilarious post... what a day. oooooh, the baby bird (another hilarious post)... sigh is right.