Thursday, December 18, 2008

Let's Be Honest-the blog is the last thing on my mind

I have to be honest. Updating my blog is the last thing on my mind! Our household seems to be in slight disarray lately. A week ago Daryn and I decided to finally paint the family room and move all our living room stuff into there and use THAT room as our main gathering room. It has sat basically empty for a year because we didn't have the furniture to put in there...anyway, the wallpaper scraping took longer than we had expected and the weekend job quickly turned into a week long job.

Little did we know our poor sweet daughter would be sent home from school Tuesday morning for vomiting. And not just any vomiting. The poor child threw up in the auditorium in front of her whole class and 2 other 1st grade classes who were coming in for Christmas musical practice. When I got there to pick her up, I almost busted into tears for her as they told me she'd spilled her breakfast while all the little boys yelled, "ew, gross!!!". Poor thing. (And now I advertise it on the blog for everyone to read).

Then, 14 hours later Luke started. I'm sure you don't all want a play by play of my family's vomiting so I'll move on. I will end the vomiting stories by saying we ended up in the Emergency Room with Luke for 3 hours last night after he woke up from a nap with shooting pains in his abdomen and a swollen 'right lower quadrant'...basically they thought his appendix was getting ready to burst when I called the after hours clinic and they asked us to rush him into the ER. I ended up at a hospital that was out of our network and had to reload him into the car and drive to a different hospital. (Actually the one Daryn's brother works at in the ER but he wasn't working-the nurses had a great time teasing Luke for being related to Uncle Derek, though!). Lo and behold....the swelling and pain were gone by the time we reached the doctor and they wrote it off as gas due to vomiting. GREAT. Better safe then sorry, I guess, right? One nice thing about spending 3 hours in the ER and getting your sick child to bed at 11pm is that we got an anti-vomiting med prescribed and the entire family can use it if it spreads to us!

So, today Grace went back to school and while it took a little coaxing to convince her that the entire class was not going to make fun of her (I desperately broke out a new cute top from her favorite overpriced girl clothing store, "justice", to give her a little confidence boost and acted like we'd got it for her special for her Christmas program today), she went to school looking confident and ready for her Christmas program!

So, I'm going to try to finish painting our family room...I don't want to...the job is now turning into a 2 week job...I have to finish it-the inards of the room are spread all over the house, mixed with palates of blankets and pillows in front of the TV the sick kids have used...I also have to wash the 7 loads of laundry I've ignored (not including the 3 loads I've done b/c they were pukey), finish Christmas shopping, wrapping, and disinfect our house so Anteneh and his busy parents (us) don't get the pukey stuff.

If you've been reading by blog for a year or so you'll remember me saying that we were convinced we'd be in the ER with Anteneh soon with the way he takes risks and is so impulsive...well, isn't it ironic that both Luke and Grace have been to the St. Mary's ER and Anteneh never has? Haha-Go figure. (Grace was there when she was 18 months)

All I want for Christmas is for my family room to be done being painted and for nobody else in this house to start throwing up!!! Oh, and for the cat to stop knocking over the Christmas tree :)

3 comments:

Sara and JC Trombley said...

Wow! I'm exhausted just reading that!

Erin Moore said...

What a nightmare! Our house is currently infected with some horrific, never-ending, night-waking cough thing.

Is the winter over yet?

The Clements Family said...

If you want a letter, you get J...and no I'm not fishing for compliments for Jocelyn, I closed my eyes and let my finger land on a letter on my keyboard!