But I did make a commitment to completing a project over Christmas break...and here it is: Our family room makeover...
BEFORE:
Notice the gold brass fireplace doors, the old 80's wood trim and built in bookcases, the books jammed into the shelves and the overall drab feel of the room... brightened up only slightly by the Christmas decorationsAnd here is AFTER:
We ripped all the old wallpaper off the walls (you can't really see that anyway), primed and painted all the walls, the trim and bookcases, painted the fireplace doors (who knew a $5 can of high heat spray paint could make such a dramatic difference!), placed baskets on the shelves instead of all the books, and put a flat screen TV on the left bookcase (Daryn only asked for gift cards for Christmas to save up for a TV!)...and one of my favorite parts of the room now is my "W" mirror...aren't I creative? :) We also did an accent color behind the bookcases called "brown horse"...the walls are a lighter beige shade. Daryn cleaned out the ancient fireplace ashes, spray painted the old log holder black, and I got some $35 fireplace tools for $11 at Lowe's b/c they were mismarked! We love this room...it's been so fun using it. Most nights Daryn builds a fire and we sit with our feet up and watch TV after the kids are in bed. One night after Grace took a shower I found her in her robe curled up with a book in front of the hearth...I LOVE having a wood burning fireplace...so homey! And can I tell you...it feels so good to have it done!Oh, and another thing that feels REALLY good....we threw out our old Christmas tree!!!!!!! It was leaning 30 degrees all season and actually fell over TWICE...I can't wait to get a REAL tree next year. Are you proud of me, Tracey?! It felt SO GOOD.



3 comments:
Your makeover looks great! I would've made all those same changes! I wish we had a "real" fireplace, ours is gas & it's just not the same without the crackle!
Here's our fireplace makeover:
http://the5moores.blogspot.com/2008/10/before-and-after-fireplace.html
-Erin
Looks great- isn't decluttering such a great feeling??
I happened upon your blog while trying to figure out how to update my fireplace...honestly, I've now seen a lot of the brass "inserts" painted black, but most of them don't look that great to me. Yours is fantastic! Do you mind giving me the details on the exact paint and process you used to do the fireplace? You can email me at lizabethmcmanus@yahoo.com I would really appreciate it!
Post a Comment