Tuesday, March 20, 2007

ER Wishes and Traveling Refusals

Well, I think Anteneh has an emergency room wish. Before I tell you all this, I just want you to know that I don't leave the kids unattended for long...Grace and Luke are quite knowledgeable as to what they are allowed to do and touch and what is off limits-but Anteneh is still learning. And even when he KNOWS he can't do something, he still does it half the time.

Well, I ran upstairs to get some paperwork together for our post adoption legal process and I left the boys in their room, playing peacefully. I was gone a few minutes when I heard our bedroom door shut. They both know that there's not really anything in there they are allowed to mess with so I went down to check on them. The door was locked (which is a BIG no-no) so I got the key and let myself into my room. They weren't there so I walked over to the bathroom door and it was locked. I unlocked it and found them in the shower with the door shut. I opened it and there they were-Anteneh was standing there with my 3 bladed RAZOR in his MOUTH!!! I almost had a heart attack!!! I'm talking-the blades were against his tongue and his lips were closed around it...(and I had just shaved my legs last night-yuck!)I grabbed it away from him and proceeded to check his mouth for cuts and send them to their room crying-they both knew better...and before anyone thinks, "oh, poor little anteneh-I'm sure he didn't understand", let me tell you of the 20 times we have told him 'no-no' when he locked us out of a room or tried to get in our shower! Those little stinkers!

OK...so later in the day I decided to make homemade bread-I thought the boys would have fun kneading and punching it...so, I sat them both on the counter around the bowl and let them stir and pour...as I'm mixing up the dough, I see Anteneh take the butter knife I had been using to level off the flour and jam it into the (plugged in) toaster!!! AAAHHH!!!! I know better-I ALWAYS unplug it when the kids are on the counter cooking...this time he really DIDN'T know better....praise God he didn't electrocute himself. Actually, I'm not sure how he managed to not get electrocuted.

So, the day isn't over yet-seems that Anteneh has an emergency room wish...I think the thing is: he's just a 3 year old boy. They get into stuff...and now we have TWO of them!!! AAAHHH!!! Haha...they are fun, though...and Grace comes back from Florida tonight-we missed her...

And I might just be losing my mind: Here is why I say that:

...almost 4 years ago we took Grace (then 1 year old) to Jamaica for her first mission trip. It was a week and I swore I wouldn't take my kids ever again b/c it was too hard. Well, I've learned to never tell God what I will and won't do b/c 2 years later He told me I was going back. So, 2 summers ago we lived there for 3 months with Grace (3 years old) and Luke (12 months). Very hard...that was a hard summer for me with 2 little kids on a 3 month long mission trip to a third world country...(of course our living conditions weren't horrible but Daryn was busy 24/7, there was no running water 1/2 the time, and it was just HARD)...we've taken the 2 kids back twice since that summer...and I said, "I just can't keep doing that-it's getting too hard to take our kids on missions"...and on the 16 hour long plane ride home from Ethiopia w/Anteneh, I told Daryn, "Honey-can you tell me that we don't have to fly with the 3 kids for the next 4 years? Please...? Just say it...It's just too hard"...of course, being the good husband he is, he said, "Sure honey-I'll say it if you really want me to"

Well, it's kind of like childbirth-flying with kids is....you forget the pain and think, "I could give birth again-it wasn't so bad..." even though you SWORE at the time you could NEVER do it again! Here is why I say that: now we are thinking of taking the THREE kids to Jamaica this summer for 1-2 weeks(Daryn has back to back mission trips to take and we don't want to be apart that long)...I may be losing my mind...or else God is stretching me and making me do it just because I said I wouldn't...I did claim I learned that but apparently I did NOT learn it...I said on the flight from Ethiopia I refused..man...there we go-that's why we are going this summer. Maybe someday I'll learn.

2 comments:

shell said...

we have twin boys who are 4.5 now....people always say they are double trouble, but when they were 2-4yrs, it was way more than double!!! esp being boys! my only advice is that it does get easier! hang in there!

Medley Family said...

Brooke, I know exactly who you are and I definatly remember our fun meetings after school at the coffee shop on campus. What is actually funny, is that I have been checking out your blog regularly since I saw the link to it on the Trombley's blog and my sister told me about it. I loved following the whole addoption and I love the pictures. Your new little guy is precious as well as your entire family. It was great to hear from you. I almost left a comment the other day but didnt think you would know who I was especially without my maiden name. Take care and God Bless, Kristi